POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Be very afraid... Server Time
29 Sep 2024 01:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Be very afraid... (Message 21 to 30 of 65)
From: Chambers
Subject: Re: Be very afraid...
Date: 23 Sep 2009 23:36:55
Message: <4abae957@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I liked Crysis more than HL2, so I guess it's up to what you want out of
> a game.

Same here; I'm about halfway through Ep1, and I just haven't picked it
up in more than a week.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 24 Sep 2009 03:29:13
Message: <4abb1fc9$1@news.povray.org>
> A GPU implementation of instant radiosity presented at this year's
> SIGRAPH.  Yeah, objects move around and affect GI.  be very afraid...

Yes I think dynamic GI is getting more and more realistic on the GPU, it
makes a huge visual difference that is often hard to pin down (ie it just
"looks better" but it's not massively obvious like adding reflections).

> Of course, that's only in the triangle mesh-world, not in the world of
> perfect sphere surfaces...

I don't understand the fascination with perfect mathematically described
surfaces, they are inflexible and slow to render.  If you use sub-divided
triangle meshes you can make the output perfectly smooth all the time and of
course do whatever transformations you like very easily by just transforming
every vertex.  AFAIK all film-quality 3D animation is done with triangle
mesh based renderers, and we can probably assume they have worked out the
best way to get photo-realistic quality.  And the huge benefit for games
(rather than offline rendering) is that it's very simple to reduce the
triangle count to keep real-time animation.

Post a reply to this message