POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Be very afraid... : Re: Be very afraid... Server Time
29 Sep 2024 03:13:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Be very afraid...
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Sep 2009 05:21:49
Message: <4abb3a2d$1@news.povray.org>
>> Really? I was under the impression that splines can describe any
>> possible surface.
>
> How do you render a splined surface directly?  Even POV converts them to
> triangles first!

It's news to me that POV supports splines in the first place.

>> Triangles, on the other hand, can only give a crude approximation to
>> curves.
>
> In practice display devices are made of pixels, so using triangles you
> can always get exactly the same output as using the true curve.

Only if you have the original curve to hand.

> Have you ever seen any "crude approximations" to curves in film CG?

Have you ever seen any curved surfaces in computer games?

If you *insist* on using triangles, you're going to need a hell of a lot
of them to fake the appearence of a good curve. That means you either
need a triangle mesh of absurd dimensions, or you need to generate the
triangles on the fly.

What all known computer games do is use a static, very low resolution
triangle mesh and then smother it with lashes of low-level trickery to
give a vague semblance of curvature.