POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Be very afraid... : Re: Be very afraid... Server Time
29 Sep 2024 03:13:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Be very afraid...
From: scott
Date: 24 Sep 2009 05:28:10
Message: <4abb3baa$1@news.povray.org>
>> Imagine how long that would take to render in POV, media, DOF,
>> refraction! And I don't think the result would be *that* different (maybe
>> the refraction would look slightly different, but a normal person
>> probably couldn't tell which one was correct, especially during
>> animation).
>
> It wouldn't have all those glitches that games have though. (Like grass
> that rotates as you run past it, or "mist" that has sharp edges where it
> intersects things.)

I don't think modern games have those glitches anymore, the grass is true 3D
geometry not just billboards, and the mist billboards usually compare depths
of existing pixels to avoid the hard edges with geometry.  Some games even
have true 3D volume textures and rendering for smoke and mist, I don't know
if Crysis uses this or just cheats with multiple billboards.  Maybe the
glitches you mention are on a game from 5 years ago or on a very badly
written modern one.