POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Infinite sequences and probability Server Time
29 Sep 2024 17:21:58 EDT (-0400)
  Infinite sequences and probability (Message 21 to 29 of 29)
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Re: Infinite sequences and probability
Date: 28 Apr 2009 15:58:53
Message: <49f75ffd$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I was under the impression the result applies to all groups - which is
> why the groups of prime order are always cyclic.

It is true that every subgroup of a finite group has an order which
divides that of the group (this result has actually been around longer
than group theory itself).  This implies that all prime order groups are
cyclic.

The converse, however, does not hold.  Some finite groups do not have
any subgroups corresponding to some of their order's divisors.

Post a reply to this message

>> I was under the impression the result applies to all groups - which is
>> why the groups of prime order are always cyclic.
>
> It is true that every subgroup of a finite group has an order which
> divides that of the group (this result has actually been around longer
> than group theory itself).  This implies that all prime order groups are
> cyclic.
>
> The converse, however, does not hold.  Some finite groups do not have
> any subgroups corresponding to some of their order's divisors.

Ah, right. I guess I missed that technicallity.

Of course, intuitively, it totally makes sense that the order of a
subgroup would have to be a factor of the group's order. I just thought
that every group could be split into subgroups. So I guess there are
large non-prime groups that don't have any [nontrivial] subgroups then?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Of course, intuitively, it totally makes sense that the order of a
> subgroup would have to be a factor of the group's order. I just thought
> that every group could be split into subgroups. So I guess there are
> large non-prime groups that don't have any [nontrivial] subgroups then?

This is not actually true either.  If a group G is of order n, then G
does have a subgroup of every order which is a *prime* factor of n.
It's just that there's no guarantee for composite factors.

Post a reply to this message

>> Of course, intuitively, it totally makes sense that the order of a
>> subgroup would have to be a factor of the group's order. I just
>> thought that every group could be split into subgroups. So I guess
>> there are large non-prime groups that don't have any [nontrivial]
>> subgroups then?
>
> This is not actually true either.  If a group G is of order n, then G
> does have a subgroup of every order which is a *prime* factor of n. It's
> just that there's no guarantee for composite factors.

So, in summary, G *definitely* has subgroups for every prime factor, and
*might* have subgroups for some or all of the composite factors as well?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/