POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Infinite sequences and probability : Re: Infinite sequences and probability Server Time
29 Sep 2024 17:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Infinite sequences and probability
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 28 Apr 2009 15:58:53
Message: <49f75ffd$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I was under the impression the result applies to all groups - which is
> why the groups of prime order are always cyclic.

It is true that every subgroup of a finite group has an order which
divides that of the group (this result has actually been around longer
than group theory itself).  This implies that all prime order groups are
cyclic.

The converse, however, does not hold.  Some finite groups do not have
any subgroups corresponding to some of their order's divisors.