POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Infinite sequences and probability : Re: Infinite sequences and probability Server Time
29 Sep 2024 17:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Infinite sequences and probability
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 28 Apr 2009 16:25:59
Message: <49f76657@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> So, in summary, G *definitely* has subgroups for every prime factor, and
> *might* have subgroups for some or all of the composite factors as well?

I believe that is correct.  In addition I think that G must have a
subgroup for every prime power which still divides the order of G.
Weather or not the composite factors have associated subgroups will
indeed depend on the particular group G represents.

As an example consider the group of rotations of a tetrahedron.  It has
12 elements but no subgroup of order 6.