POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curiosity Server Time
30 Sep 2024 09:16:37 EDT (-0400)
  Curiosity (Message 21 to 28 of 28)
From: St
Subject: Re: Curiosity
Date: 15 Dec 2008 10:16:39
Message: <494674d7$1@news.povray.org>
news:49466678$1@news.povray.org...

> HOW THE HELL DO THEY CUT DIAMONDS?!

  If you mean in the first instance when say, a large rough diamond needs to
be made into several smaller faceted diamonds, well, they 'cleave' the
rough. Basically, a hammer and chisel are used to smack a rough in half and
then quarters, etc.

   But if you meant cutting the actual facets, well, with diamond of course.
;)

   Actually, it's diamond paste. They start with a rough paste and work the
facets down to a smooth finish with a fine paste and then they use even
finer diamond paste (or spray) to actually polish the facets.

   ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message