POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curiosity : Re: Curiosity Server Time
30 Sep 2024 09:15:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curiosity
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Dec 2008 11:56:29
Message: <4947ddbd$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Just think of all the navigation and control systems in a plane (both
> hardware and software),

Not difficult to top. I mean, heck, we used to do *that* without any
computers at all.

> plus the fact that there needs to be 4-way redundancy

As opposed to supporting several versions of CDMA and GSM, bluetooth, GPS,
HDTV, surround sound, and 3D graphics acceleration, all on one chip, running
on a tiny battery for a week at a time, talking to assorted carriers all
with their own versions of the standard implemented? :-)

I think it's certainly close.

> and everything must be designed to work for 30 years rather
> than 3 years.

I'll grant you that's a restriction you don't see on mobile phones.

> And that's before you've even considered how complex a modern jet engine
> is, or the retractable landing gear, the control surfaces, the control
> systems to keep the plane stable, the auto-pilot etc.

Again, all that was done before people even invented computers.

> I guess there's a reason why you can design a new phone from drawing
> board to mass production in 18 months, but a plane takes nearer 10 years.

People don't design phones from scratch. Certainly the first analog cell
phones were under development for some 70+ years, and digital cell phone
technology was under development for 40+ years IIRC.

(Granted, I don't think people design jet planes from scratch, either, but
that just means it's a bad comparison.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)