POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curiosity : Re: Curiosity Server Time
30 Sep 2024 09:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curiosity
From: scott
Date: 16 Dec 2008 03:10:26
Message: <49476272$1@news.povray.org>
> I've read that mobile phones are actually more complicated than commercial
> jumbo jet airplanes. I don't know how that's measured, mind, but I'd be
> willing to believe it. One rarely has to manage changing speed-of-light
> calculations when driving a car or a plane.

Don't believe it!

Just think of all the navigation and control systems in a plane (both
hardware and software), plus the fact that there needs to be 4-way
redundancy and everything must be designed to work for 30 years rather than
3 years.  Surely all that has got to be more complex than a mobile phone?

And that's before you've even considered how complex a modern jet engine is,
or the retractable landing gear, the control surfaces, the control systems
to keep the plane stable, the auto-pilot etc.

I guess there's a reason why you can design a new phone from drawing board
to mass production in 18 months, but a plane takes nearer 10 years.