POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 05:18:40 EDT (-0400)
  Compiling stuff (Message 101 to 110 of 283)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Compiling stuff
Date: 12 Dec 2008 04:52:29
Message: <4942345d$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>> ...it would drive me mad if I had to shut it down and boot it up
>>> from cold each time I used it.
>>
>> No it wouldn't if it took only less than 5 seconds. And with SSD and
>> proper kernel config and INIT config it is very possible.
>
> Man, it takes longer than that to just get through the BIOS before it
> gets anywhere near an OS!

I have servers where the disks take longer than that to spin up. ;-)

...we try not to reboot it much. o_O

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 12 Dec 2008 04:54:25
Message: <494234d1$1@news.povray.org>
>> Doesn't that mean that after X hours the battery runs flat and you
>> need to cold boot it anyway?
>
> X is a very large number though, even after a weekend in standby the
> battery is still at 90-something %.

I think the last time I used my laptop was about 4 months ago?

(Mind you, that's kind of moot; *my* battery is non-functional now.
Disconnecting from the mains instantly shuts down the machine.)

>> (I guess it depends on exactly which "sleep mode" you mean...)
>
> Start -> Shutdown -> Standby
>
> AIUI it just supplies enough power to the RAM to keep its contents
> refreshed, everything else is turned off.

Right. Unlike "Hibernate", which writes the RAM image to disk, so next
time you cold boot it can just reload that.

Either way, don't you find that huge amounts of hardware stops working
properly when you start it back up again?

Post a reply to this message