POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 07:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: scott
Date: 12 Dec 2008 05:08:20
Message: <49423814$1@news.povray.org>
>> X is a very large number though, even after a weekend in standby the
>> battery is still at 90-something %.
>
> I think the last time I used my laptop was about 4 months ago?

Right, well mine is on continually during the day at work (I use it for
email and my desktop for other work), and sometimes in the evening or at
weekends I use it for a while eg in front of the TV or in the kitchen.  It
also gets used on the road (eg on the train, in the hotel, at customer
meetings) every few weeks if I need to travel anywhere.

> Right. Unlike "Hibernate", which writes the RAM image to disk, so next
> time you cold boot it can just reload that.
>
> Either way, don't you find that huge amounts of hardware stops working
> properly when you start it back up again?

No, the only thing I notice is that if I put it into standby while it is
docked at work, then undock it and boot it up at home, the screen resolution
is wrong for the internal LCD (1600x1200 instead of 1920x1200).  But I can
cope with that, I usually make sure to undock it before putting it to
standby (undocking it changes the resolution back from the external monitor
to the internal one).