POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 07:23:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Dec 2008 04:54:25
Message: <494234d1$1@news.povray.org>
>> Doesn't that mean that after X hours the battery runs flat and you
>> need to cold boot it anyway?
>
> X is a very large number though, even after a weekend in standby the
> battery is still at 90-something %.

I think the last time I used my laptop was about 4 months ago?

(Mind you, that's kind of moot; *my* battery is non-functional now.
Disconnecting from the mains instantly shuts down the machine.)

>> (I guess it depends on exactly which "sleep mode" you mean...)
>
> Start -> Shutdown -> Standby
>
> AIUI it just supplies enough power to the RAM to keep its contents
> refreshed, everything else is turned off.

Right. Unlike "Hibernate", which writes the RAM image to disk, so next
time you cold boot it can just reload that.

Either way, don't you find that huge amounts of hardware stops working
properly when you start it back up again?