POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 07:23:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 12 Dec 2008 13:00:10
Message: <4942a6a9@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> scott wrote:
>
>> I always put my XP laptop to sleep rather than turning it off, from
>> hitting the power button to windows unlock prompt is always under 5
>> seconds - it would drive me mad if I had to shut it down and boot it up
>> from cold each time I used it.
>
> Doesn't that mean that after X hours the battery runs flat and you need
> to cold boot it anyway?
>
> (I guess it depends on exactly which "sleep mode" you mean...)

I think Vista has a feature where it saves the RAM contents to disk and gets
into sleep (not hibernate) mode. If battery lasts enough to keep the RAM
alive, it will be fast to get out of sleep mode, unlike hibernation. If it
doesn't, you have the data saved to disk anyway, unlike sleep.

Or, maybe, the feature was that when it's running low on battery, it wakes
up, saves RAM to disk, and hibernates.

I don't remember the details.