POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question of physics Server Time
30 Sep 2024 09:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  A question of physics (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Invisible
Subject: A question of physics
Date: 17 Oct 2008 05:55:13
Message: <48f86101$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so I need to buy a set of PC speakers. It doesn't really matter how
good they sound, but they need to be loud enough for a crowded room full
of people to hear them.

The trouble is, I'm looking at the product catelogue, and although every
single product clearly states how many Watts it gives you, not one
single one seems to say HOW LOUD THEY ARE! >_<

Is there any way to infer the approximate loudness of a cheap PC speaker
from the Wattage rating? I realise that it's quite possible to make an
8W speaker that is deafening, but most manufacturers "typically" don't
od this, so... is there any way I can figure out the data I need?

Post a reply to this message

> Is there any way to infer the approximate loudness of a cheap PC speaker
> from the Wattage rating? I realise that it's quite possible to make an 8W
> speaker that is deafening, but most manufacturers "typically" don't od
> this, so... is there any way I can figure out the data I need?

Speaker sensitivity is the parameter you are after, tells you the "loudness"
in dB 1 metre away from the speaker when you apply 1 Watt of electrical
power to it.  Typical values are from 80 - 100, so I guess you could use 90
to work out the dB.  I doubt cheap PC speakers will tell you the actual
value.

Post a reply to this message