POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question of physics : Re: A question of physics Server Time
30 Sep 2024 11:16:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of physics
From: scott
Date: 17 Oct 2008 06:01:46
Message: <48f8628a$1@news.povray.org>
> Is there any way to infer the approximate loudness of a cheap PC speaker
> from the Wattage rating? I realise that it's quite possible to make an 8W
> speaker that is deafening, but most manufacturers "typically" don't od
> this, so... is there any way I can figure out the data I need?

Speaker sensitivity is the parameter you are after, tells you the "loudness"
in dB 1 metre away from the speaker when you apply 1 Watt of electrical
power to it.  Typical values are from 80 - 100, so I guess you could use 90
to work out the dB.  I doubt cheap PC speakers will tell you the actual
value.