POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another game question Server Time
30 Sep 2024 21:28:53 EDT (-0400)
  Another game question (Message 28 to 37 of 37)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Another game question
Date: 20 Aug 2008 06:41:02
Message: <48abf4be$1@news.povray.org>
>> Uh-huh. And you understand that your monitor only physically draws 60
>> frames each second anyway, right?
>
> Not if you still have a CRT, my old CRT used to go up to 120 Hz and man
> that looked smoooooooth if you could get a game running at 120 Hz (and
> yes, you can tell the difference between 60 and 120 Hz refresh, IIRC
> above about 85 Hz you don't notice any difference).

Well let me put it this way: *I* can't tell the difference between 50
Hz, 60 Hz and 75 Hz. They all look the same to me.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Invisible
Date: 20 Aug 2008 06:43:42
Message: <48abf55e@news.povray.org>
>> The fact of the matter is, if you were on an island surrounded by
>> highly trained mercinaries and you were armed only with a pistol, you
>> wouldn't last five seconds.
>
> But you're a highly trained military type guy too, and you're taking
> them all by surprise.  Besides, it's not like they have an army
> anywhere, there's rarely more than a dozen of them in one area or more
> than a couple standing next to each other.  And once you've shot one of
> them, you have the same gun they do ;-)

I double you'd last long against sniper rifles and rocket launchers. ;-)

Actually, I'm waiting for the day when computer games will portray this
realistically. It's like HL2:DM. 12 guys run around inside a crumbling
dungeon hurling grenades and using rocket launchers. And after 20
minutes, the map itself just has a few bullet holes. Obviously, if you
did this in a *real* crumbling dungeon, there would be walls missing and
so forth! But no game seems to have managed to do this yet... Presumably
having a completely deformable map is just too much of a technical
challenge right now.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>>> Uh-huh. And you understand that your monitor only physically draws 60
>>> frames each second anyway, right?
>>
>> Not if you still have a CRT, my old CRT used to go up to 120 Hz and
>> man that looked smoooooooth if you could get a game running at 120 Hz
>> (and yes, you can tell the difference between 60 and 120 Hz refresh,
>> IIRC above about 85 Hz you don't notice any difference).
>
> Well let me put it this way: *I* can't tell the difference between 50
> Hz, 60 Hz and 75 Hz. They all look the same to me.

I always kept my CRTs running at above 60Hz. For some reason, staring at
60Hz or lower just makes me queezy.

Post a reply to this message