POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another game question : Re: Another game question Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:03:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another game question
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 21 Aug 2008 05:15:01
Message: <48ad3215$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> Actually, I'm waiting for the day when computer games will portray
>> this realistically. It's like HL2:DM. 12 guys run around inside a
>> crumbling dungeon hurling grenades and using rocket launchers. And
>> after 20 minutes, the map itself just has a few bullet holes.
>> Obviously, if you did this in a *real* crumbling dungeon, there would
>> be walls missing and so forth! But no game seems to have managed to do
>> this yet... Presumably having a completely deformable map is just too
>> much of a technical challenge right now.
>
> Wasn't there one a few years ago, Red Storm or something like that?  It
> was, IIRC, made by a group of Russion grad students, and the story was
> about miners on Mars revolting.
>
> Completely deformable maps.  The demo let you blow a house to pieces,
> and make a larger and larger crater as you threw rockets at it :)
>
> ...Chambers

I think the game you mean is Red Faction. It wasn't completely
deformable, though. There were sections of walls that could be blown up,
parts of a hallway wall could be knocked down with just grenades, others
would seem to be impervious to everything short of a rocket launcher.

It was a pretty good change to gameplay when it was released. I remember
a few LAN games when someone would find a new part of the wall that
could be removed, and gain a sudden advantage.