POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another game question Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:05:17 EDT (-0400)
  Another game question (Message 21 to 30 of 37)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>
From: Sabrina Kilian
Subject: Re: Another game question
Date: 19 Aug 2008 17:03:13
Message: <48ab3511$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:
> "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message
>> St. wrote:
>>>    Well, maybe not, but it does make a difference.
>> That's weird. I have no idea why it would make that much of a difference.
>> I didn't think the Windows scheduler sucked that much. :-)
>
>      Well, I didn't disable that. I left all windows services running and
> disabled ZA, AVG email scanner, AVG Watchdog, Google update service,
> Ad-Aware, Epson printer status, A-Squared free service, Office source engine
> and nVidia driver service(???).

AVG is an absolute bear for system resources. Back at the end of last
year when I got Portal, I couldn't run it at all. I would get to some
complex location in the map, and would land on the desktop with a system
message about not being able to get a texture lock. Quick search of the
net, most of the people complaining were using AVG. Turns out, AVG had a
tendency to acquire lots of mutex objects in the OS part of ram, so many
infact that a moderately well programmed game would have to fault
because it couldn't get a lock.

Several patches from both sides have fixed the issue, but I wouldn't be
surprised if it still slowed things down as the OS paged those mutex in
and out of virtual ram.

Post a reply to this message