POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another game question : Re: Another game question Server Time
1 Oct 2024 03:16:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another game question
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Aug 2008 17:57:45
Message: <48ab41d9$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:
>  You think? I'm surprised that I could play the game at all if the nVidia
> services were turned off. See? Confused.

My experience is that most of the video "drivers" stuff is really
basically compensation for driver flaws more than anything. I've *never*
run that, and usually never had a game that had a problem. (And starting
the service before the game never fixed the problem.)   Indeed, I've
never figured out what it's for. Maybe high-end stuff like color matching.

>     Yes, this is one thing I knew, but to be fair, AVG is good.

Yeah. I use it, but only on an on-demand basis. I usually do a scan
before a full backup, is all.

>    Oh, thanks for that! I was frightened to actually try anything to do with
> Windows services in case I messed something up. I'll have a play... gulp.

Well, at worst, stop it, and if it screws soemthing up, reboot.  But
generally, if you will crash the machine by stopping it, Windows won't
let you.

> Heh...  ;)

Good luck on that!

--