POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another game question : Re: Another game question Server Time
1 Oct 2024 03:14:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another game question
From: St
Date: 19 Aug 2008 17:50:00
Message: <48ab4008$1@news.povray.org>
news:48ab1740$1@news.povray.org...
> St. wrote:
>>      Well, I didn't disable that.
>
> I meant the process scheduler, not the service called "scheduler". :-)

    Ah, I see.

>> I left all windows services running and disabled ZA, AVG email scanner,
>> AVG Watchdog, Google update service, Ad-Aware, Epson printer status,
>> A-Squared free service, Office source engine and nVidia driver
>> service(???).
>
> Oh, OK. Well, I guess the AV type stuff might be running more than you'd
> expect, and I wouldn't be surprised of the nVidia driver services were the
> problem.

 You think? I'm surprised that I could play the game at all if the nVidia
services were turned off. See? Confused.

 I almost always leave that sort of stuff turned off and
> never have a problem.  Lots of AV stuff is a performance suck.

    Yes, this is one thing I knew, but to be fair, AVG is good. If I've had
a proper virus at all, (that actually infected my computer), then I know it
was my fault. Everything else in nearly 10 years, AVG has dealt with.

>>      I guess you could also disable a lot of Windows services too, but
>> you'd have to be careful (or at least I would), because some rely on
>> others to work and I haven't got a clue as to what services rely on
>> others.
>
> Well, it's all listed, and turning it off tells you what else it'll
> disable. Knowing what they're *for* is another question. And it won't let
> you turn off the stuff you need to run windows at all.

   Oh, thanks for that! I was frightened to actually try anything to do with
Windows services in case I messed something up. I'll have a play... gulp.

>> but it felt more 'fluid' if you like.
>
> "Feelings" is what I was trying to avoid, especially when the game will
> show you the actual measured results. :-)

       Yeah, I know what you're saying. Maybe the removal of 8 gigs hasn't
actually helped speed up the game, and maybe my map is actually quite
playable on low end machines. Anyway, I'll know soon because it's not far
from being finished, and the young 'uns over at crymod will soon tell me.
Heh...  ;)

     ~Steve~