POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The decline of mindpower Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:28:49 EDT (-0400)
  The decline of mindpower (Message 51 to 60 of 138)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: The decline of mindpower
Date: 4 Jul 2008 13:33:17
Message: <486e5edd$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'm good at understanding principles and elligant mathematical
>> theories. I'm not good at memorising vast amounts of unstructured data.
>
> If you think multiplication tables are "unstructured data"...   ;-)

It is conspicuous that all the times tables I can remember are the ones
that have a trivial formula (i.e., you don't *need* to remember them).

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Warp
Date: 4 Jul 2008 13:46:22
Message: <486e61ee@news.povray.org>
> >> [Why do they make them so complicated? Is it a conspiracy to ensure you
> >> get them wrong and hand over more money than you're supposed to??]
> >
> >   You mean there are no tax returns where you live? That would be odd.

> It's complicated so the legislature can favor particular people and
> companies and behaviors over others. And then when the rules interact
> poorly and let some subset of people get away with having lots of money
> and no taxes, they put together a second set of rules to deal with that.

  Expanding on my comment on the original idea expressed above, at least
here some kind of "conspiracy" to get people to pay excessive taxes by
mistake would be rather ridiculous. Ok, I understand that just having more
money, even if temporarily, is worthy, but still it would seem to be of
little use.
  If you pay too much taxes, the excess is returned at the end of the
following year, adjusted for inflation (which means the interest rate
is enormously higher than what you get in almost any bank; while a
typical bank account for a moderate sum of money gives you an interest
of about 0.3%, tax returns have an interest rate equal to inflation,
which is something closer to 3%; that's about 10 times as much as the
interest you get from a bank).

  If anything, paying too much taxes could even be seen as an investment
with a fair interest rate (at least compared to typical bank accounts).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message