POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The decline of mindpower : Re: The decline of mindpower Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The decline of mindpower
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 4 Jul 2008 14:24:14
Message: <486e6ace$1@news.povray.org>
>> People who are good at football are regarded as gods,
>> but anybody who claims to be good at (say) trigonometry is regarded as a
>> pathetic failure of a human being.
>
> There's a difference between being good at something, and being good at
> something and not anything else.

True. But the comment I posted talks of somebody who was rejected just
for liking maths.

>> Yes... this is my life...
>>
>> Everybody hated me for being the "teacher's pet". Just because *they*
>> were a bunch of thick idiots... :-P
>
> Again, being a "teacher's pet" is quite different from being good at math.

And there's a difference between *being* the teacher's pet and merely
being labelled as one. ;-)

> Math is not easy, but that's not the point. It's that socially clumsy people
> tend to take solace in focusing their energies into solitary endavours like
> math, chess, bug collecting... etc.

This rather echos the comment somebody posted saying that "only autistic
people are good at maths".

My sister was quite good at maths. (Hell, she's an accountant now!) And
she's about the most socially popular person one can imagine.

As for myself... I suspect I wouldn't *be* so socially clumsy if I
hadn't gone to a school where there was a culture of praying on anybody
who was regarded has having any sort of weakness. Even several former
teachers from that school agree that it was a retched place...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/