POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The decline of mindpower : Re: The decline of mindpower Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The decline of mindpower
From: somebody
Date: 4 Jul 2008 17:17:45
Message: <486e9379$1@news.povray.org>
news:486e6ace$1@news.povray.org...

> >> Everybody hated me for being the "teacher's pet". Just because *they*
> >> were a bunch of thick idiots... :-P

> > Again, being a "teacher's pet" is quite different from being good at
math.

> And there's a difference between *being* the teacher's pet and merely
> being labelled as one. ;-)

Maybe, maybe not. You of course realize that what we read from you can be
but one side of the story. But even here, you seem to seek
validation/admiration for your accomplishments, and those who do that at
every opportunity towards the teacher get that label. Of course everyone
seeks admiration - otherwise people would not post their POV renders, for
instance. There's a line, however, beyond which constant attention seeking
starts to annoy others.

> > Math is not easy, but that's not the point. It's that socially clumsy
people
> > tend to take solace in focusing their energies into solitary endavours
like
> > math, chess, bug collecting... etc.

> This rather echos the comment somebody posted saying that "only autistic
> people are good at maths".

I wouldn't overgeneralize, but different professions attract different
personalities. There's no reason mathematicians and actors should share
similar personality traits.

> My sister was quite good at maths. (Hell, she's an accountant now!)

Maybe it's my ignroance of the profession, but I didn't think any kind of
higher math was necessary for being an accountant. And with the invention of
the pocket calculator, even arithmetic skills needed are minimal. Not to say
an accountant cannot be a mathematician, just saying that it's not
necessary.

> And
> she's about the most socially popular person one can imagine.

Was she picked on for being good at math?

> As for myself... I suspect I wouldn't *be* so socially clumsy if I
> hadn't gone to a school where there was a culture of praying on anybody
> who was regarded has having any sort of weakness. Even several former
> teachers from that school agree that it was a retched place...

I don't know you from Adam, so I cannot comment on anything specific there.
You might well have a case. In general, however, it's easier blaming
everybody else.