POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : These words Server Time
2 Oct 2024 06:26:40 EDT (-0400)
  These words (Message 111 to 120 of 166)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: These words
Date: 23 Apr 2008 15:53:09
Message: <480f93a5$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:37:40 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Gail Shaw wrote:
>
>> They're good. Read Magician. Seriously. It's an excellent book.
>> Technically it's the first of a trilogy, but it stands alone quite
>> well.
>
> Actually, I recall a number of people urging me to read The Hobbit.
> After a chapter or two I was bored stupid. Watching paint dry would have
> been more fun.
>
> Oddly, the LotR films are really quite good. I don't know how they
> managed to get so much excitement out of such a dull series of books...

Well, I found the books to be good, but they are heavy on exposition.  It
translated to films well, I think, because instead of exposition on what
the mountains looked like, we just had a picture to look at.  The scouts
did very well, I thought, in scouting locations that evoked the images of
the books.

I hope they do get the Hobbit film(s) made.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> did very well, I thought, in scouting locations that evoked the images of
> the books.

  Yes. Especially the place for Edoras was a superb find. (Only some
buildings were added with CGI, all the rest is real scenery.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 15:59:50 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> The scouts
>> did very well, I thought, in scouting locations that evoked the images
>> of the books.
>
>   Yes. Especially the place for Edoras was a superb find. (Only some
> buildings were added with CGI, all the rest is real scenery.)

Yes, I thought that was one of the most outstanding locations they had.

Jim

Post a reply to this message