POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : These words : Re: These words Server Time
2 Oct 2024 08:18:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: These words
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 23 Apr 2008 16:03:00
Message: <480f95f4@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Actually, I recall a number of people urging me to read The Hobbit.
> After a chapter or two I was bored stupid. Watching paint dry would have
> been more fun.
>
> Oddly, the LotR films are really quite good. I don't know how they
> managed to get so much excitement out of such a dull series of books...

I feel that the style of The Hobbit is a little different from that of
the LotR books. I still prefer the LotR even after reading each many
times...

I actually I had to read The Hobbit at school and I did not like it at
all (as nearly everything I had to read at school actually ;-) ). Only
some years later I stumbled by accident on The Two Towers somewhere in
the basement, and got caught immediately... To the point of digging out
the other two volumes :-)

I read The Hobbit again later, and even now I enjoy it mostly for the
connections with the rest of Tolkien's books, not really on its own. So
don't judge the whole series based on The Hobbit, in my opinion...

--
Vincent