POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : These words : Re: These words Server Time
2 Oct 2024 08:16:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: These words
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 23 Apr 2008 16:16:10
Message: <480f990a$1@news.povray.org>
news:480f8ff1$1@news.povray.org...
> Gail Shaw wrote:
>
> > They're good. Read Magician. Seriously. It's an excellent book.
Technically
> > it's the first of a trilogy, but it stands alone quite well.
>
> Actually, I recall a number of people urging me to read The Hobbit.
> After a chapter or two I was bored stupid. Watching paint dry would have
> been more fun.

Tolkien's writings are expansive. Lots of details, lots of words. Some
people enjoy that, some don't.
Give the Lord of the Rings a try. You may enjoy it more than the Hobbit (I
do), but you may not. Do not even try reading the Silmarillion. It reads
like a history text book.

I love the Lord of the Rings story, but I struggle to read the second book
in The Two Towers.