POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speed comparison between C# and C++ Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Speed comparison between C# and C++ (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Chambers
Subject: Speed comparison between C# and C++
Date: 17 Apr 2008 01:02:40
Message: <4806d9f0$1@news.povray.org>
So I got my simulation in C# to run 1000 particles at a decent speed
(~20 fps), and I thought this would be a good time to try comparing it
to C++.

As much as possible, I ported the data structures and algorithm straight
across.  And the result... surprised me.

The C++ release build, targetting SSE/SSE2, could only run ~500
particles before choking.

Thinking this might be an effect of the frequent allocation /
deallocation of new arrays, I switched the C++ version to preallocate
the arrays.

Nada.  No difference at all in speed.

Now, I'm thinking I'm seriously doing something wrong here with the C++
version, but I can't figure it out.  And without a profiler, I can't
spot bottlenecks in my executable.

Anyway, other than that, it runs fine.  If anyone wants to take a look
at it, they can at http://www.pacificwebguy.com/downloads/physics.zip
(~450k, C++ source included).

--
...Ben Chambers