POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speed comparison between C# and C++ : Re: Speed comparison between C# and C++ Server Time
1 Oct 2024 07:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speed comparison between C# and C++
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Apr 2008 12:39:45
Message: <48077d51$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   It's certainly not a good idea to create, resize and destroy 6 vectors
> at each iteration.

And in a well-tuned GC system, that's less of a problem, see? :-)
That's part of the reason these languages *do* allocate everything on
the heap - it's not as much of a problem. Honestly, I'm not 100% sure
why, but when folks actually measure, it often works out that way.

C# has value types too. I wonder how much you'd speed it up by not
heap-allocating vectors to start with in C#.

Maybe the C# over-allocates the vectors, so the resize is cheap, and the
C++ vectors have to actually get moved when resized?

Just random thoughts on the topic.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"