POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Thinking about Languages again Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:24:01 EDT (-0400)
  Thinking about Languages again (Message 1 to 10 of 42)
From: Chambers
Subject: Thinking about Languages again
Date: 27 Mar 2008 00:36:23
Message: <47eb3257$1@news.povray.org>
So, I'm learning C# right now, and I've got a couple of notes I thought
I'd share...

1) The designers have decided that Garbage Collection is a Good
Thing(tm), and that pointers are Dangerous.  So, while it's actually
possible to use pointers, they spend a lot of time telling you not to.

I have to wonder, is the whole debate about GC merely due to the fact
that current implementations aren't satisfactory?  If there were better
implementations that were more predictable about object destruction and
memory cleanup, and especially about when they clean up the fragmented
memory space, would developers be more willing to live with it?

In fact, 10 years from now, is the debate over GC going to seem like the
debate between C and C++: sure, C can be faster, but for most developers
the benefits of C++ outweigh the negligible speed penalty.

Or is GC a flawed concept to begin with, and doomed to mediocre performance?

2) WHY is it considered a Good Thing that class methods must be written
inline?  The language doesn't allow class prototypes, and claims this is
a benefit because "header files aren't necessary."  I actually *like*
header files, a well written one gives you a great overview of the class
in question, and many times I refer to them rather than the
documentation for class libraries.

Note: it may be that Interfaces solve this for me, I haven't gotten that
far in the language yet.  In a few more days, I will have.

3) It's hard to believe how much some people are MS fanboys.  I picked
up a number of C# books at the library (point of fact: I now have, in my
possession, more books on C# from the local library, than my library had
on *all* programming languages combined 15 years ago.  I know, because I
read all of *those*, too).  Two of them have caught my eye, for being
complete opposites:

The first has numerous errors in the code, and I mean extremely obvious
things like:
   System.Console.WriteLine("Now assigning 10 to obj.value: ");
   obj.value = 20;
   System.Console.Writeline("Value of obj.value: {0}", obj.value);

Given that the above snippet is repeatedly (the program mentioned is
repeated some four or five times), it's staggering to think that this
error was never caught.  And it's only one example of the extremely
sloppy editing.

Then, the author has the audacity to claim that MS's biggest mistakes
with J++ were 1) Signing a contract with Sun, saying that they would
accept Sun's standards on the Java language, and 2) Allowing the
contract to be understandable.  These two items combined meant that when
MS tried to "Embrace, Extend, Terminate" (or whatever that phrase is),
Sun rightfully sued them and won.  Personally, I think their biggest
mistake was to try to subvert another company's IP like that.

Now, this other book I'm reading has been edited well (I haven't found
any errors in the code yet, or even in the grammar), and the author,
despite writing a book on C# and obviously loving the language, still
pokes fun at MS.  My favorite quote:
Q: How many OO programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: None, MS changed the standard to darkness.

4) Lastly, sometimes it's the little things that count.  Personally, I
love the fact that I don't have to right 'get' and 'set' functions for
member variables, even when accessing the data is not straightforward.

Basically, C# allows you to give any member variable implicit get / set
functions that are called when you access the variable normally.  In
other words, you can access a member variable like this:

objA.val = objB.val;

And what will execute is:

objA.val_set( objB.val_get() );

Even though the variable 'val' can be a plain old int, or any other
type.  I think this is really, really cool :)

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message