POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Thinking about Languages again : Re: Thinking about Languages again Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thinking about Languages again
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Mar 2008 12:15:00
Message: <47ebd614$1@news.povray.org>
Paul Fuller wrote:
> And in regard to speed loss from GC, I really have not observed a
> problem.  You might think it is a huge overhead but it has not yet shown
> to be an issue at all for me.

Now that I think about it, I remember reading that MS's goal was to come
up with a GC that ran faster than a page fault.

> So it doesn't seem to be an issue at all.  People coming from other
> language backgrounds seem to have an impression that it is massively
> slower or a huge impost.  It seems like the opposite to me.

It *used* to be slow, 20 or 30 years ago. But that's like complaining
that C++ is hard to debug because after you run it through cfront and
compile the C code, you've lost all the source file line numbering.

> passing acquaintance with C++ (which I detest)

I saw a LOL line on another conversation.
    > > Having used Ada and C++ extensively,
    > > I'll take Ada over C++ any day.
    > Never having used Ada at all, I'll take Ada over C++.

> As I got into C# and .Net I found it to be very well thought out, rich
> and powerful.

It's still statically typed and compiled, so you still have the troubles
interfacing with Other Stuff sometimes. Like SQL - you still wind up
changing things in several places when you change the type of
arrangement of a SQL table.  I found that annoying for doing prototyping.

> about all of the neat new things and how well it all fits together.

It really is amazingly well thought out as a language. Plus they've
added generics, partial classes, inline SQL, etc.

> Then there is the framework which to me seems more comprehensive and
> consistent than anything for Java.

Yep. Again, of course, they had the hindsight of what Java had to
explore and then maintain.  Java was kind of "the first one you throw
out once you learn what you actually want," IMO.

> Call me a C# / .Net fanboy but don't call me one for Microsoft.  I
> reckon they should put the C# guys starting with Anders Hejlsberg in
> charge of the next OS they do.

I thought that was the idea behind Vista? Most of it rewritten to .NET?

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"