POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : (First?) Contribution Drive: Office Supplies Server Time
26 Apr 2024 09:39:38 EDT (-0400)
  (First?) Contribution Drive: Office Supplies (Message 11 to 20 of 27)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: (First?) Contribution Drive: Office Supplies
Date: 21 Jan 2008 19:01:11
Message: <47953247$1@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:
> "Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message
>
>>St. wrote:
>

>>>     In this day and age, that's a real shame.
>

>>Ohhh!  Glad that got said before I put too much time in.  That should be
>>made clearer on the web page.
>

>     Heh, well, I can't think of anything better than mixing a good mesh
> modeler with PoV. For me at least, it = perfect.  :)
>
>       ~Steve~

Your postings on p.b.images have made that pretty clear.  Me, I can
swing either way, but I want to be the one who decides.

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 21 Jan 2008 19:37:20
Message: <47953ac0@news.povray.org>
> St. wrote:
>> "Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message

>>>Ohhh!  Glad that got said before I put too much time in.  That should be
>>>made clearer on the web page.
>>

>>     Heh, well, I can't think of anything better than mixing a good mesh
>> modeler with PoV. For me at least, it = perfect.  :)
>>
>>       ~Steve~
>>

> Your postings on p.b.images have made that pretty clear.  Me, I can swing
> either way, but I want to be the one who decides.

    And of course, that's the correct way to tackle it Jim. I think we all
made decisions over the years about how we would 'refine' our workflow using
PoV, and I think I've found my path. But, I've been tampering with the new
Crysis game editor recently, and I'm like 'painting' different layers of
rock textures on a heightfield mountain, and thinking; "Wow, if only I could
do this in PoV". If PoV was like this, it would seriously rule. :) Well, it
seriously rules anyway, but you know what I mean. This isn't a complaint,
just a thought.

     ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 21 Jan 2008 19:41:33
Message: <47953bbd$1@news.povray.org>
"Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message
> St. wrote:
>> "Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message
>>> That's the idea, of course.
>>
>>      In this day and age, that's a real shame.
>>
>>        ~Steve~
>
> Don't get me wrong - there's no way I'd turn away a good model if one got
> submitted.  I just prefer CSG for its flexibility (through macros and / or
> parameters), compactness, and the fact that it uses real curves.

    Hmm, well, true. It's just me though, I feel restricted when I can offer
so much with an .obj mesh. After what now, six, seven years(?) using PoV,
I'll never be able to handle CSG properly, it's just not my thing. I admire
the guys that can though, no doubt about that.

     ~Steve~

> --
> ...Ben Chambers
> www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 21 Jan 2008 20:15:00
Message: <web.4795436421a87b7e2ae8612c0@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> "Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message
> > St. wrote:
> >> "Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message
> >>
> >>      In this day and age, that's a real shame.
> >>
> >>        ~Steve~
> >
> > Don't get me wrong - there's no way I'd turn away a good model if one got
> > submitted.  I just prefer CSG for its flexibility (through macros and / or
> > parameters), compactness, and the fact that it uses real curves.
>
>     Hmm, well, true. It's just me though, I feel restricted when I can offer
> so much with an .obj mesh. After what now, six, seven years(?) using PoV,
> I'll never be able to handle CSG properly, it's just not my thing. I admire
> the guys that can though, no doubt about that.
>
>      ~Steve~
>

> > --
> > ...Ben Chambers
> > www.pacificwebguy.com

Nothing wrong with either CSG or meshes I think.  The advantage of CSG is the
making of parameterable(?) objects, e.g. a table where you can define the
height, widht and length (which aren't dependent on just straight scale
factors).  Of course you can try to hand-code a mesh that has some variable
adjustment (I've done a few).  You can also wrap meshes in a macro that can
carry additional simple parameters like scaling and textures.
I tend to use a lot of CSG when modelling, mainly because I don't want to take
the time to learn a modeller, but also for the parameterability(?).  For
instance, the smurf house I posted a while back is pure CSG and has a number of
variables that I can change on the fly to adjust it's look.
I do occasionally use meshes as well though, either premade meshes by others or
for example, meshes made from TopMod.
I guess after all this, I'll have to submit an object or two now...

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 21 Jan 2008 21:19:07
Message: <4795529b@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:
>     Hmm, well, true. It's just me though, I feel restricted when I can offer
> so much with an .obj mesh. After what now, six, seven years(?) using PoV,
> I'll never be able to handle CSG properly, it's just not my thing. I admire
> the guys that can though, no doubt about that.

Has a macro been written to handle .obj files?  I would probably have to
draw a line on files that can't be handled w/o running them through a
converter (so at least put in in a mesh2 or something).

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 22 Jan 2008 10:19:58
Message: <4796099e$1@news.povray.org>
Trevor G Quayle wrote:
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>
>>"Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message

>>>Don't get me wrong - there's no way I'd turn away a good model if one got
>>>submitted.  I just prefer CSG for its flexibility (through macros and / or
>>>parameters), compactness, and the fact that it uses real curves.
>>
>>    Hmm, well, true. It's just me though, I feel restricted when I can offer
>>so much with an .obj mesh. After what now, six, seven years(?) using PoV,
>>I'll never be able to handle CSG properly, it's just not my thing. I admire
>>the guys that can though, no doubt about that.
>>
>>     ~Steve~
>>

>>>--
>>>...Ben Chambers
>>>www.pacificwebguy.com
>

> Nothing wrong with either CSG or meshes I think.  The advantage of CSG is the
> making of parameterable(?) objects, e.g. a table where you can define the
> height, widht and length (which aren't dependent on just straight scale
> factors).  Of course you can try to hand-code a mesh that has some variable
> adjustment (I've done a few).  You can also wrap meshes in a macro that can
> carry additional simple parameters like scaling and textures.
> I tend to use a lot of CSG when modelling, mainly because I don't want to take
> the time to learn a modeller, but also for the parameterability(?).  For
> instance, the smurf house I posted a while back is pure CSG and has a number of
> variables that I can change on the fly to adjust it's look.
> I do occasionally use meshes as well though, either premade meshes by others or
> for example, meshes made from TopMod.
> I guess after all this, I'll have to submit an object or two now...
>
> -tgq

Sure but with some objects there would be diminishing gain from being
parametrized, versus the work needed to do it.  I was contemplating a
desk fan for instance.  The design is what it is. And it involves a
number of cast metal housings with complex curves, smooth chamfers and
such. Very difficult to handle in csg without a foregiving attitude.
Meanwhile, you parametrize a few things, say to lengthen or widen the
base, but to try and code something like a fan such that one design
could be morphed into another design by adjusting parameters seems like
an exercise in cleverness for its own sake with little practical payoff.
Such a design is an integrated thing, not just a matter of making table
legs longer to fit a need. Better to simply post a file of the
unsmoothed mesh in a common format.  It can be imported into a modeller
and the base made taller or wider just as easily that way, (would work
for table legs too, btw,) or whole parts of the design concept could be
morphed by a subsequent artist in ways the original contributor might
never predict.

Now, on the other hand, I was also contemplating oak file cabinets.  Now
there I could see a csg solution that could, for instance, allow for
different matrixes of drawers, anything from a cabinet for 3x5 file
cards to one for large flat maps, all from the same macro.

Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 22 Jan 2008 15:45:00
Message: <web.479654af21a87b7ec150d4c10@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> Sure but with some objects there would be diminishing gain from being
> parametrized, versus the work needed to do it.  I was contemplating a
> desk fan for instance.  The design is what it is. And it involves a
> number of cast metal housings with complex curves, smooth chamfers and
> such. Very difficult to handle in csg without a foregiving attitude.
> Meanwhile, you parametrize a few things, say to lengthen or widen the
> base, but to try and code something like a fan such that one design
> could be morphed into another design by adjusting parameters seems like
> an exercise in cleverness for its own sake with little practical payoff.
> Such a design is an integrated thing, not just a matter of making table
> legs longer to fit a need. Better to simply post a file of the
> unsmoothed mesh in a common format.  It can be imported into a modeller
> and the base made taller or wider just as easily that way, (would work
> for table legs too, btw,) or whole parts of the design concept could be
> morphed by a subsequent artist in ways the original contributor might
> never predict.
>
> Now, on the other hand, I was also contemplating oak file cabinets.  Now
> there I could see a csg solution that could, for instance, allow for
> different matrixes of drawers, anything from a cabinet for 3x5 file
> cards to one for large flat maps, all from the same macro.

As I said, I don't think there is anything wrong with adding meshes, you could
even combine a mesh and CSG for certain purposes, or multiple meshes.  Think
about the fan idea: make the housing, base and fan blade from seperate meshes,
they could then be combined in a macro with appropriate variables to control
the fan spin and housing oscillation for specific scenes, motion blur,
animation etc., things that wouldn't be simple with a single mesh object.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Date: 22 Jan 2008 19:12:12
Message: <4796865c$1@news.povray.org>
Trevor G Quayle wrote:
> Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
>
>>Sure but with some objects there would be diminishing gain from being
>>parametrized, versus the work needed to do it.  I was contemplating a
>>desk fan for instance.  The design is what it is. And it involves a
>>number of cast metal housings with complex curves, smooth chamfers and
>>such. Very difficult to handle in csg without a foregiving attitude.
>>Meanwhile, you parametrize a few things, say to lengthen or widen the
>>base, but to try and code something like a fan such that one design
>>could be morphed into another design by adjusting parameters seems like
>>an exercise in cleverness for its own sake with little practical payoff.
>>Such a design is an integrated thing, not just a matter of making table
>>legs longer to fit a need. Better to simply post a file of the
>>unsmoothed mesh in a common format.  It can be imported into a modeller
>>and the base made taller or wider just as easily that way, (would work
>>for table legs too, btw,) or whole parts of the design concept could be
>>morphed by a subsequent artist in ways the original contributor might
>>never predict.
>>
>>Now, on the other hand, I was also contemplating oak file cabinets.  Now
>>there I could see a csg solution that could, for instance, allow for
>>different matrixes of drawers, anything from a cabinet for 3x5 file
>>cards to one for large flat maps, all from the same macro.
>

> As I said, I don't think there is anything wrong with adding meshes, you could
> even combine a mesh and CSG for certain purposes, or multiple meshes.  Think
> about the fan idea: make the housing, base and fan blade from seperate meshes,
> they could then be combined in a macro with appropriate variables to control
> the fan spin and housing oscillation for specific scenes, motion blur,
> animation etc., things that wouldn't be simple with a single mesh object.
>
> -tgq

Yes, nice idea, I'll admit I hadn't thought of animation uses.  I would
  have broken up the model into separate mesh objects anyway for ease of
texturing among other reasons.  The texture list in mesh2 objects is
great but I often find that for flexibility purposes I like to keep one
texture per object whenever possible. I think it is necessary too if you
want to apply materials to a mesh2 object? Anyway long ago I adopted it
as a standard.

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 23 Jan 2008 07:23:37
Message: <479731c9@news.povray.org>

news: web.479654af21a87b7ec150d4c10@news.povray.org...
> As I said, I don't think there is anything wrong with adding meshes, you
> could
> even combine a mesh and CSG for certain purposes, or multiple meshes.
> Think
> about the fan idea: make the housing, base and fan blade from seperate
> meshes,
> they could then be combined in a macro with appropriate variables to
> control
> the fan spin and housing oscillation for specific scenes, motion blur,
> animation etc., things that wouldn't be simple with a single mesh object.
>
> -tgq

For what it's worth, here's an example of posable mesh in POV-Ray.
http://www.oyonale.com/modeles.php?lang=en&page=55
The demo file contains a small macro that can be used to rotate and animate
the legs. I just had to copy the coordinates of the origin point (center of
rotation) for each leg part from the original model and then reorganise the
leg's hierarchy in POV-Ray.

G.

--
*****************************
http://www.oyonale.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 29 Jan 2008 14:49:21
Message: <479f8341$1@news.povray.org>
OK, after one week, I've had a submission from one person.

Unfortunately, I was hoping for more than this :(

So, I have a couple of questions:

1) Who would participate if given more time?
1b) How much more time would you realistically ask for?

and,

2) Who would participate with a different subject?
2b) What subjects would interest you?

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>