POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Welcome Server Time
27 May 2024 08:40:27 EDT (-0400)
  Welcome (Message 4 to 13 of 13)  
<<< Previous 3 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: Welcome
Date: 9 Oct 2007 15:47:00
Message: <470bdab4$1@news.povray.org>

470b82d9$1@news.povray.org...
> Although I'm not a legal expert I believe that work can be distributed by 
> the owner under multiple licenses and conditions. I believe that anything 
> you've done that is already in the public domain could also be distributed 
> under the CC-LGPL. The site allows you to incorporate comments or 
> documentation alongside the contribution in which you can clarify that 
> it's in the public domain or that it's also available under other 
> licenses. If there are elements of your work currently licensed under 
> CC-Attribution that you wished to also make available on this site under 
> CC-LGPL,  then I think you can do so (and they'd certainly be very much 
> appreciated :o))

Thanks Chris for your answer.
I participated (briefly) in that discussion and my opinion hasn't really 
changed, i.e. that the LGPL is more suited to programming than to the 
dissemination of artwork, where attribution is important (or can be waived 
if the author wants it). I chose the CC-BY license years ago for that 
reason.
About a multiple license, I see on wikipedia that it's possible in certain 
cases. However, in the present case, it would be quite confusing for users 
since CC-BY and LPGL have different (and contradictory) conditions. 
Particularly, I really don't want to force users to use the GPL if they want 
to redistribute my work and the CC-BY is extremely lax about redistribution. 
For instance, as I'm often releasing objects with bitmaps, I want people to 
be able to use (and possibly redistribute) the bitmaps without thinking 
twice about it. Likewise, when I put something in the public domain, it is 
my wish to waive all my rights and it would be strange to disseminate the 
work separately under a more restrictive license!

Wikimedia Commons offers, IMHO, a friendlier and more adaptative way to deal 
with the license problem, which is to allow users to choose among several 
free licenses (including Public Domain). Perhaps that would be something to 
consider at a later stage for the POV-Ray object collection.

G.

G.


Post a reply to this message

From: Sabrina Kilian
Subject: Re: Welcome
Date: 10 Oct 2007 17:30:20
Message: <470d446c$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> 470b46cb$1@news.povray.org...
>> Welcome to the povray.object-collection newsgroup. This newsgroup has been 
>> set up to support discussions about the POV-Ray Object Collection web site 
>> which is now live at http://lib.povray.org. The web site stores POV-Ray 
>> and Moray objects contributed by the community under the Creative Commons 
>> LGPL license to allow royalty free use, modification and redistribution.
> 
> Is the LGPL the only license accepted? All that I have is already under CC 
> By Attribution (which I find more suitable for artwork), and, in one case, 
> under public domain.
> 
> G.
> 
> 

There were actually two problems with putting different files under
different licenses. The first was simple, distributing the library as a
whole. If one was just CC-BY-NC and another CC-BY-SA they could only be
distributed as a single group under CC-BY-SA-NC, I believe. It would get
even worse if some people wanted to share their contributions under the
GPL. The option for this would be to have separate portions under each
license. This may still be an option later.

The other problem was public domain. I wish I still had the references
to copyright law, but I'll have to go on memory alone so I'm bound to
get some details wrong. Putting a work in the public domain differs by
the country. I remember reading that, for someone in the USA, to place a
work in the public domain they needed to create the work with the intent
of placing it in the public domain or otherwise go through some paper
work assigning the work to the public. A simple statement of 'I release
this work into the public domain' was not always valid. Since this
differs by country, what one person releases to the public domain might
not actually be in the public domain in another country. While I trust
that all the people here wouldn't do something so nasty as use this to
cause problems, I don't believe that everyone would be so well behaved.
All it would take is one crazy lawyer.

Admittedly, one lawyer might be all it takes to hack away at the GPL.
But that is someone else's problem.


Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Welcome
Date: 10 Oct 2007 18:05:01
Message: <web.470d4c075be8b576f48316a30@news.povray.org>
wow!  so the discussion wasn't in vein after all! :)

looking forward to contribute...


Post a reply to this message

From: St 
Subject: Re: Welcome
Date: 12 Oct 2007 18:03:58
Message: <470fef4e$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote in message 
news:470b46cb$1@news.povray.org...

   Chris, what type of files are perceived as ok to upload? I mean that it 
doesn't look like there is any option for any other file type, (unless I've 
not seen it) and in my case, OBJ files?

     Is this possible in the future?

      ~Steve~


Post a reply to this message

From: Chris B
Subject: Re: Welcome
Date: 15 Oct 2007 05:44:16
Message: <47133670@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:470fef4e$1@news.povray.org...
>
> "Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote in message
> news:470b46cb$1@news.povray.org...
>
>   Chris, what type of files are perceived as ok to upload? I mean that it
> doesn't look like there is any option for any other file type, (unless
> I've not seen it) and in my case, OBJ files?
>
>     Is this possible in the future?
>
>      ~Steve~
>

Hi Steve,

The file types currently accepted are: BMP, CSS, CSV, GIF, HTM, HTML, INC, 
INI, JPEG, JPG, JS, MDL, PGM, PNG, POV, PPM, TGA, TIF, TIFF and TXT. This is 
initially intended to limit contributions to those that can be directly used 
by POV-Ray (along with HTML and associated file
types for documentation).

The main purpose of this collection is to try to make objects easy to place 
together in POV-Ray scenes. I therefore have a bit of a concern that, if we 
support 3D formats that can't be used directly with POV-Ray, people will 
need converters and knowledge about how to transform objects in order to use 
stuff, making the collection as a whole less 'plug-and-play'. Moray was 
acquired by POV-Ray earlier this year and therefore the collection also 
supports Moray objects.

The list of file types can be changed, so feel free to make the case for any 
additional file types that you would like to see added to the list.

Also, I can see that there may be occasions where we want to make one-off 
exceptions which would need to be handled by the administrators. For 
example, if the contribution is a utility to process a certain type of file 
it probably makes sense to incorporate a file of that type with the 
contribution to serve as an illustration of how the utility works.

Regards,
Chris B.


Post a reply to this message

From: St 
Subject: Re: Welcome
Date: 15 Oct 2007 14:18:04
Message: <4713aedc$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote in message 
news:47133670@news.povray.org...
>
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:470fef4e$1@news.povray.org...
>>
>> "Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote in message
>> news:470b46cb$1@news.povray.org...
>>
>>   Chris, what type of files are perceived as ok to upload? I mean that it
>> doesn't look like there is any option for any other file type, (unless
>> I've not seen it) and in my case, OBJ files?
>>
>>     Is this possible in the future?
>>
>>      ~Steve~
>>
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> The file types currently accepted are: BMP, CSS, CSV, GIF, HTM, HTML, INC, 
> INI, JPEG, JPG, JS, MDL, PGM, PNG, POV, PPM, TGA, TIF, TIFF and TXT. This 
> is initially intended to limit contributions to those that can be directly 
> used by POV-Ray (along with HTML and associated file
> types for documentation).



     Ah, ok, thank you Chris for your answer. It looks like I'm going to 
have to learn a bit of Moray then with the .mdl files. That's ok with me. As 
a mesh modeller mainly using Wings, I just wanted to contribute *something* 
around here in the future. Hopefully, it will be useful to someone.  :)



>
> The main purpose of this collection is to try to make objects easy to 
> place together in POV-Ray scenes. I therefore have a bit of a concern 
> that, if we support 3D formats that can't be used directly with POV-Ray, 
> people will need converters and knowledge about how to transform objects 
> in order to use stuff, making the collection as a whole less 
> 'plug-and-play'. Moray was acquired by POV-Ray earlier this year and 
> therefore the collection also supports Moray objects.
>
> The list of file types can be changed, so feel free to make the case for 
> any additional file types that you would like to see added to the list.
>
> Also, I can see that there may be occasions where we want to make one-off 
> exceptions which would need to be handled by the administrators. For 
> example, if the contribution is a utility to process a certain type of 
> file it probably makes sense to incorporate a file of that type with the 
> contribution to serve as an illustration of how the utility works.


     Do you mean <for example> a self-made tutorial based on a Wings model, 
and how it's used in 'my' way through PoV-Ray?

     (Sorry if I'm sounding dumb here - long, long day).


          ~Steve~



>
> Regards,
> Chris B.
>
>


Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Subject: Re: Welcome
Date: 15 Oct 2007 15:45:34
Message: <4713C462.8060006@hotmail.com>
Chris B wrote:
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:470fef4e$1@news.povray.org...
>> "Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote in message
>> news:470b46cb$1@news.povray.org...
>>
>>   Chris, what type of files are perceived as ok to upload? I mean that it
>> doesn't look like there is any option for any other file type, (unless
>> I've not seen it) and in my case, OBJ files?
>>
>>     Is this possible in the future?
>>
>>      ~Steve~
>>
> 
> Hi Steve,
> 
> The file types currently accepted are: BMP, CSS, CSV, GIF, HTM, HTML, INC, 
> INI, JPEG, JPG, JS, MDL, PGM, PNG, POV, PPM, TGA, TIF, TIFF and TXT. This is 
> initially intended to limit contributions to those that can be directly used 
> by POV-Ray (along with HTML and associated file
> types for documentation).
>
What about ZIP?


Post a reply to this message

From: Chris B
Subject: Re: Welcome
Date: 16 Oct 2007 04:47:08
Message: <47147a8c@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:4713aedc$1@news.povray.org...
>
> "Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote in message
>> ... snip ...
>> The list of file types can be changed, so feel free to make the case for 
>> any additional file types that you would like to see added to the list.
>>
>> Also, I can see that there may be occasions where we want to make one-off 
>> exceptions ... snip ...
>
>     Do you mean <for example> a self-made tutorial based on a Wings model, 
> and how it's used in 'my' way through PoV-Ray?
>
>          ~Steve~
>

Hi Steve,

To be honest it wasn't quite what I had in mind. I think that there are 
better ways of doing tutorials.
The POV-Ray Links Collection has a tutorials section which includes links to 
that type of tutorial.
Indeed it would be easier for you to maintain a tutorial as a web page on a 
site where you can readily update text, fix typos and rework individual 
graphics.

Nevertheless, if you wanted to contribute a model that you've made in Wings, 
converted to a POV-Ray mesh object/include file as a standalone object in 
the collection, then that would be fine. You could also submit a Web Page 
along with the include file, documenting the mesh object, describing how you 
created it and point the reader to other resources, such as the tutorial and 
the original source file.

If you look at the 'Eye' contribution you'll see a link to 'More Details' 
next to the object name. This is just a Web Page submitted with the same 
name as the object (eye.htm). If the server finds such a page it 
automatically adds a 'More Details' hyperlink to display it. Note that all 
file names are converted to lowercase when loaded into the server, so if you 
incorporate images for use in such a Web Page then you need to use lower 
case image names in the SRC attribute of the IMG tag.

Regards,
Chris.


Post a reply to this message

From: Chris B
Subject: Re: Welcome
Date: 16 Oct 2007 05:06:12
Message: <47147f04$1@news.povray.org>
"andrel" <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message 
news:471### [at] hotmailcom...
> Chris B wrote:
>> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:470fef4e$1@news.povray.org...
>>> "Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote in message
>>> news:470b46cb$1@news.povray.org...
>>>
>>>   Chris, what type of files are perceived as ok to upload? I mean that 
>>> it
>>> doesn't look like there is any option for any other file type, (unless
>>> I've not seen it) and in my case, OBJ files?
>>>
>>>     Is this possible in the future?
>>>
>>>      ~Steve~
>>>
>>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> The file types currently accepted are: BMP, CSS, CSV, GIF, HTM, HTML, 
>> INC, INI, JPEG, JPG, JS, MDL, PGM, PNG, POV, PPM, TGA, TIF, TIFF and TXT. 
>> This is initially intended to limit contributions to those that can be 
>> directly used by POV-Ray (along with HTML and associated file
>> types for documentation).
>>
> What about ZIP?
>

Hi Andrel,

Zips are a bit tricky and would require coding changes rather than just a 
configuration change. The application code currently does a number of checks 
which includes validating fie types and MIME types as well as identifying 
files that it can use as thumbnails, image links and documentation for 
display on the web site.

Technically it's possible to scan, validate and extract the contents of 
uploaded zip files, but it's not something that the application currently 
does or that'll be possible on this site in the near future.

Regards,
Chris B.


Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Welcome
Date: 25 Oct 2007 15:40:22
Message: <4720f126@news.povray.org>

> "andrel" <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message 
> news:471### [at] hotmailcom...
>> What about ZIP?
>>
> 
> Hi Andrel,
> 
> Zips are a bit tricky and would require coding changes rather than just a 
> configuration change. The application code currently does a number of checks 
> which includes validating fie types and MIME types as well as identifying 
> files that it can use as thumbnails, image links and documentation for 
> display on the web site.
> 
> Technically it's possible to scan, validate and extract the contents of 
> uploaded zip files, but it's not something that the application currently 
> does or that'll be possible on this site in the near future.
> 
> Regards,
> Chris B.
> 
> 
> 

http://php.net/zip
Seems easy enough to use.


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 3 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.