POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Welcome : Re: Welcome Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:08:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Welcome
From: Chris B
Date: 15 Oct 2007 05:44:16
Message: <47133670@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:470fef4e$1@news.povray.org...

> "Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote in message
>
>   Chris, what type of files are perceived as ok to upload? I mean that it
> doesn't look like there is any option for any other file type, (unless
> I've not seen it) and in my case, OBJ files?
>
>     Is this possible in the future?
>
>      ~Steve~

Hi Steve,

The file types currently accepted are: BMP, CSS, CSV, GIF, HTM, HTML, INC,
INI, JPEG, JPG, JS, MDL, PGM, PNG, POV, PPM, TGA, TIF, TIFF and TXT. This is
initially intended to limit contributions to those that can be directly used
by POV-Ray (along with HTML and associated file
types for documentation).

The main purpose of this collection is to try to make objects easy to place
together in POV-Ray scenes. I therefore have a bit of a concern that, if we
support 3D formats that can't be used directly with POV-Ray, people will
need converters and knowledge about how to transform objects in order to use
stuff, making the collection as a whole less 'plug-and-play'. Moray was
acquired by POV-Ray earlier this year and therefore the collection also
supports Moray objects.

The list of file types can be changed, so feel free to make the case for any
additional file types that you would like to see added to the list.

Also, I can see that there may be occasions where we want to make one-off
exceptions which would need to be handled by the administrators. For
example, if the contribution is a utility to process a certain type of file
it probably makes sense to incorporate a file of that type with the
contribution to serve as an illustration of how the utility works.

Regards,
Chris B.