POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Welcome : Re: Welcome Server Time
18 Apr 2024 19:05:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Welcome
From: St
Date: 15 Oct 2007 14:18:04
Message: <4713aedc$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote in message

> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:470fef4e$1@news.povray.org...
>>
>> "Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote in message
>>
>>   Chris, what type of files are perceived as ok to upload? I mean that it
>> doesn't look like there is any option for any other file type, (unless
>> I've not seen it) and in my case, OBJ files?
>>
>>     Is this possible in the future?
>>
>>      ~Steve~
>>

> Hi Steve,
>
> The file types currently accepted are: BMP, CSS, CSV, GIF, HTM, HTML, INC,
> INI, JPEG, JPG, JS, MDL, PGM, PNG, POV, PPM, TGA, TIF, TIFF and TXT. This
> is initially intended to limit contributions to those that can be directly
> used by POV-Ray (along with HTML and associated file
> types for documentation).

     Ah, ok, thank you Chris for your answer. It looks like I'm going to
have to learn a bit of Moray then with the .mdl files. That's ok with me. As
a mesh modeller mainly using Wings, I just wanted to contribute *something*
around here in the future. Hopefully, it will be useful to someone.  :)

> The main purpose of this collection is to try to make objects easy to
> place together in POV-Ray scenes. I therefore have a bit of a concern
> that, if we support 3D formats that can't be used directly with POV-Ray,
> people will need converters and knowledge about how to transform objects
> in order to use stuff, making the collection as a whole less
> 'plug-and-play'. Moray was acquired by POV-Ray earlier this year and
> therefore the collection also supports Moray objects.
>
> The list of file types can be changed, so feel free to make the case for
> any additional file types that you would like to see added to the list.
>
> Also, I can see that there may be occasions where we want to make one-off
> exceptions which would need to be handled by the administrators. For
> example, if the contribution is a utility to process a certain type of
> file it probably makes sense to incorporate a file of that type with the
> contribution to serve as an illustration of how the utility works.

     Do you mean <for example> a self-made tutorial based on a Wings model,
and how it's used in 'my' way through PoV-Ray?

     (Sorry if I'm sounding dumb here - long, long day).

          ~Steve~