POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : strange slant of objects in an ordinary scene Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  strange slant of objects in an ordinary scene (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: krus
Subject: strange slant of objects in an ordinary scene
Date: 20 Aug 2002 18:55:06
Message: <web.3d62c85190bd25b72f4bd1e30@news.povray.org>
I'm in the proces of building my very first scene
The scene will be build on the skeleton below
Im not happy with the way the two flanking cylinders is posistioned on the
surface.
They seems to 'slant' or tilt outwards (left obj. tilts left and vis a vi)
The cylinder in the midle stands correct but why the distorsions in the
'margin'?

I'm afraid that the comments in the below code is in danish but they are
only reminders to my self

I would apreciate any help on why the cylinders are tilted and what i could
do to avoid that problem

regards krus

//code

Nu tages der hensyn til origin-hovedreglen
aug 02*/

#include "metals.inc"
//#include "stones.inc"

camera {
  location  <-1,6,-5>
  //right     x*image_width/image_height
  right 4/3*x
 up y
 //angle 50

  look_at   <0,2,0>
}

light_source {
  <-6, 0, -10>,
  color rgb <1,1,1>
}

// An area light (creates soft shadows)
// WARNING: This special light can significantly slow down rendering times!
light_source {
  0*x                 // light's position (translated below)
  color rgb 1.0       // light's color
  area_light
  <8, 0, 0> <0, 0, 8> // lights spread out across this distance (x * z)
  4, 4                // total number of lights in grid (4x*4z = 16 lights)
  adaptive 0          // 0,1,2,3...
  jitter              // adds random softening of light
  circular            // make the shape of the light circular
  orient              // orient light
  translate <40, 80, -40>   // <x y z> position of light
}

 plane {
    y, 0
    texture {
      pigment {
        checker
        color rgb<1, 1, 1>
        color rgb<0, 0, 0>
      }

    }
  }

//marker origin
cone { <0, 1, 0>, 0.0, <0, -1, 0>, 1.0
texture {
         T_Silver_3B

          }
          translate<0,0,0>
}

//-----------------------------------------------------------

#declare myCan=
union{

#declare canHeight=2.8;
cylinder {

  texture {
             T_Brass_3A

          }
          finish {ambient 0.2 diffuse 0.5
                specular .5
                roughness 1.05 // typical plastic appearance
                phong .6
                }

object {myCan
    //alt er defineret [flader scaleringer rotationer]
    //nu bliver det vist OG kan flyttes frit!
      translate<-2.9,0,1.5>

      }

object {myCan
      //translate<0,1.8,0>
      translate<0,0,3>
      }

object {myCan
      translate<3.1,0,0>
      }
//code-end

Post a reply to this message

> They seems to 'slant' or tilt outwards (left obj. tilts left and vis a vi)
> The cylinder in the midle stands correct but why the distorsions in the
> 'margin'?

Your cylinders don't tilt, it's just a perspective distortion. Try narrowing
the 'angle' in your camera-settings and move the camera further away. Should
at least reduce your problem.

Regards,

Marc-Hendrik

Post a reply to this message

>"krus" <nomail[at]nomail> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> They seems to 'slant' or tilt outwards (left obj. tilts left and vis a vi)
>> The cylinder in the midle stands correct but why the distorsions in the
>> 'margin'?
>
>Your cylinders don't tilt, it's just a perspective distortion. Try narrowing
>the 'angle' in your camera-settings and move the camera further away. Should
>at least reduce your problem.
>
>Regards,
>
>Marc-Hendrik

I was 'afraid' that it was something with the perspective. Did not know
about the camera trick though. That was a great help. Thank You!

(if others have interest)
I ended up with these settings :

camera {
  location  <-1,18,-50>