POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Terrain? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 16:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Terrain? (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Robert Günther
Subject: Terrain?
Date: 2 Jun 2001 07:31:04
Message: <3B18CE85.88574B1C@exmail.de>
Hi,
i made a more or less natural looking model of the lighthouse of Blavand
in Denmark. Now i want to make the terrain (hills, grass, bushes etc.,
cliff ), but i don't know, how to do. I tried making a heightfield with
wilbur. It works so far but is miles away from that, what i want looking
it. I`m mostly using Moray. Tried to attach grass with the grass plugin
from Keith (?). But how can i project the grass to the heightfield? Is
it better using isosurfaces? (i`m not familliar with that, but i think i
have to start working with that).

Perhaps someone can guide me to some links that can help  me a bit with
that problem?

best wishes,

Robert

Post a reply to this message

> i made a more or less natural looking model of the lighthouse of Blavand
> in Denmark. Now i want to make the terrain (hills, grass, bushes etc.,
> cliff ), but i don't know, how to do. I tried making a heightfield with
> wilbur. It works so far but is miles away from that, what i want looking
> it. I`m mostly using Moray. Tried to attach grass with the grass plugin
> from Keith (?). But how can i project the grass to the heightfield? Is
> it better using isosurfaces? (i`m not familliar with that, but i think i
> have to start working with that).
>
> Perhaps someone can guide me to some links that can help  me a bit with
> that problem?

I can't think of a link but slope dependant texturing should do good, you
can maybe map the grass to the surface better that way.  Use 'eval_pigment'
and 'trace' for example.  I haven't done it though you'll need to be using
MegaPOV.  Seems someone has, so maybe they'll stop by to tell how.

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message

> I can't think of a link but slope dependant texturing should do good, you
> can maybe map the grass to the surface better that way.  Use 'eval_pigment'
> and 'trace' for example.  I haven't done it though you'll need to be using
> MegaPOV.  Seems someone has, so maybe they'll stop by to tell how.
>
> Bob H.

Thanks, Bob,
i think, i have to work at MegaPOV. Unfortunately, in the moment, it is beyond
my skills :(. Seems, that i can't turn around from hand coding?

Anyway, thanks..

Robert

Post a reply to this message

>i made a more or less natural looking model of the lighthouse of Blavand
>in Denmark. Now i want to make the terrain (hills, grass, bushes etc.,
>cliff ), but i don't know, how to do. I tried making a heightfield with
>wilbur. It works so far but is miles away from that, what i want looking
>it. I`m mostly using Moray. Tried to attach grass with the grass plugin
>from Keith (?). But how can i project the grass to the heightfield? Is
>it better using isosurfaces? (i`m not familliar with that, but i think i
>have to start working with that).

For placing grass you probably want the trace function, have a look in
the news groups povray.texc.scene-files, and povray.binaries.scene-files
for some examples of how other people do it.  You're probably going to
have to manually edit your pov file to get the results that you're after.

>Perhaps someone can guide me to some links that can help  me a bit with
>that problem?

There are others around here thant know more about this than myself, so
no doubt you'll get some better answers than this:-)

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  1:04pm  up 120 days, 13:53,  2 users,  load average: 1.40, 1.25, 1.11

Post a reply to this message