POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Clipping macro Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:26:43 EDT (-0400)
  Clipping macro (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Nekar Xenos
Subject: Clipping macro
Date: 20 Apr 2001 03:09:41
Message: <3adfe0b5@news.povray.org>
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place - let me know.

I want to do an animation that I think would be quite difficult to do
because it would take to long to render. It involves a scene going through a
forest. I've been thinking it might be plausible in this way: If I have a
highly detailed scene and a low detail scene and merge the two in such a way
that only the nearby stuff are rendered in detail, the rest of the rendering
would be on the low detail scene.

Maybe I can explain it like this: If there was an 'invisible' sphere around
the camera that clips the detailed scene to show only the near stuff and at
the same time clipping the low detail scene to cut out the near stuff,
wherever the camera goes. The other problem would be that there would
probably be a visible edge where the high and low detail scenes meet and
some sort of fading/transparency or blurring would be needed to make it look
good.

Is this plausible and is there someone that could make a macro like this for
me?

Thank you,

Gerhard

--
_______________________
J-Print

329 Pretorius St., Pretoria
Momentum City Walk
(Opposite State Theatre)

Tel:           012 - 320 7250
Tel & Fax: 012 - 322 3877
Cell: 082 853 4711 - Nici

Post a reply to this message

> I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place - let me know.
>
> I want to do an animation that I think would be quite difficult to do
> because it would take to long to render. It involves a scene going through a
> forest. I've been thinking it might be plausible in this way: If I have a
> highly detailed scene and a low detail scene and merge the two in such a way
> that only the nearby stuff are rendered in detail, the rest of the rendering
> would be on the low detail scene.
>
> Maybe I can explain it like this: If there was an 'invisible' sphere around
> the camera that clips the detailed scene to show only the near stuff and at
> the same time clipping the low detail scene to cut out the near stuff,
> wherever the camera goes. The other problem would be that there would
> probably be a visible edge where the high and low detail scenes meet and
> some sort of fading/transparency or blurring would be needed to make it look
> good.

Since i don't know any applicable method to 'fade' objects i see no way to
avoid this visible border.  But if you do something like a forest, you
could use a low detailed and high detailed version of the single trees
depending on the distance to the camera.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

> Since i don't know any applicable method to 'fade' objects i see no way to
> avoid this visible border.  But if you do something like a forest, you
> could use a low detailed and high detailed version of the single trees
> depending on the distance to the camera.

You're right.

Is there anyone that could help me with a macro to do this? I'll also be
needing it for other scenes so the basic principle would be to replace low
detail objects with detailed objects when they are within a certain radius.

Thanks

Gerhard aka Nekar

Post a reply to this message