POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Clipping macro : Re: Clipping macro Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clipping macro
From: John VanSickle
Date: 20 Apr 2001 14:42:40
Message: <3AE083E9.312C3CEA@erols.com>
Nekar Xenos wrote:

> I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place - let me know.
>
> I want to do an animation that I think would be quite difficult to do
> because it would take to long to render. It involves a scene going
> through a forest. I've been thinking it might be plausible in this
> way: If I have a highly detailed scene and a low detail scene and
> merge the two in such a way that only the nearby stuff are rendered in
> detail, the rest of the rendering would be on the low detail scene.

Calculate the distance from the camera to each object.  Declare the
object according to that distance (high detail for near, low for far).

If there are no reflective surfaces in the anim, you can also use
some math to figure if the object is in the camera view at all, and
not declare it if it isn't.

Regards,
John
--