POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Clipping macro : Re: Clipping macro Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clipping macro
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 20 Apr 2001 04:14:21
Message: <3ADFEFE2.FB59FD29@gmx.de>
Nekar Xenos wrote:

> I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place - let me know.
>
> I want to do an animation that I think would be quite difficult to do
> because it would take to long to render. It involves a scene going through a
> forest. I've been thinking it might be plausible in this way: If I have a
> highly detailed scene and a low detail scene and merge the two in such a way
> that only the nearby stuff are rendered in detail, the rest of the rendering
> would be on the low detail scene.
>
> Maybe I can explain it like this: If there was an 'invisible' sphere around
> the camera that clips the detailed scene to show only the near stuff and at
> the same time clipping the low detail scene to cut out the near stuff,
> wherever the camera goes. The other problem would be that there would
> probably be a visible edge where the high and low detail scenes meet and
> some sort of fading/transparency or blurring would be needed to make it look
> good.

Since i don't know any applicable method to 'fade' objects i see no way to
avoid this visible border.  But if you do something like a forest, you
could use a low detailed and high detailed version of the single trees
depending on the distance to the camera.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>