POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : need help with parametric surface Server Time
28 Apr 2024 18:12:03 EDT (-0400)
  need help with parametric surface (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: jr
Subject: need help with parametric surface
Date: 10 Mar 2014 11:31:20
Message: <531ddac8$1@news.povray.org>
hi,

newbie, first post.

having installed v 3.6.1 and played with it for a few days, I decided
that Ferguson's Umbilic Torus [1] would make a fine, first project.

alas, my lack of (mathematical) ability gets in the way of progress. :-(

using the scene file below, I get nothing but a black image.  I
interpret this output
  Ray->Shape Intersection          Tests       Succeeded  Percentage
  Parametric                      788225               0      0.00
  Parametric Bound                788225          788225    100.00
to mean that while the rays hit the default bounding box, they do not
hit the object that's meant to be inside [2].

I've tried various scales for the object and am now out of ideas.

---------- <snip> ----------
// umbilic.pov
// Helaman Ferguson's Umbilic Torus
#version 3.6;

#include "colors.inc"

camera {
  location <0,2,-5>
}

light_source {
  <0,5,0>
  color White
}

// equations from 3dps2v.tk
#declare oUmbilic = parametric {
  function {
sin(pi*u)*(7.0+cos((pi*u/3.0)-(2.0*pi*v))+2.0*cos((pi*u/3.0)+(pi*v))) },
  function {
cos(pi*u)*(7.0+cos((pi*u/3.0)-(2.0*pi*v))+2.0*cos((pi*u/3.0)+(pi*v))) },
  function { sin((pi*u/3.0)-(2.0*pi*v))+2.0*sin((pi*u/3.0)+(pi*v)) }
  <-1.0, -1.0>, <1.0, 1.0>
  contained_by { box { -1.1, 1.1 } }
//  accuracy .0001
}

object {
  oUmbilic
//  texture { uv_mapping pigment { Aquamarine } }
  pigment { rgb 1 }
}

---------- <snip> ----------

any help appreciated.

[1] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbilic_torus
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helaman_Ferguson

[2] I got the x,y,z functions from Blaise Montandon's neat "3D Examiner
for Parametric Surfaces" program which can be found at wiki.tcl.tk/37524.

Post a reply to this message

> using the scene file below, I get nothing but a black image.  I
> interpret this output
>    ------------------------------------------------------------------
>    Ray->Shape Intersection          Tests       Succeeded  Percentage
>    ------------------------------------------------------------------
>    Parametric                      788225               0      0.00
>    Parametric Bound                788225          788225    100.00
>    ------------------------------------------------------------------
> to mean that while the rays hit the default bounding box, they do not
> hit the object that's meant to be inside [2].
>
> I've tried various scales for the object and am now out of ideas.

I changed the following code and get *something* visible, not sure it's
what you want though:

> camera {
>    location <0,2,-5>
      look_at <0,-4,0>