POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : need help with parametric surface : Re: need help with parametric surface Server Time
14 May 2024 00:06:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: need help with parametric surface
From: FractRacer
Date: 11 Mar 2014 18:12:23
Message: <531f8a47@news.povray.org>

> I followed your advice and used those bounds, initially with colour to
> verify the camera placing.  I also placed the box with the transparency.
>
> no joy though, still all black; I even managed to lose the "*something*"
> found by Scott. :-(
>
> after some more googling I downloaded Ingo's MMGM and had a look at his
> p_umbilic.pov file, which works nicely (and so much faster than the
> parametric).  what is very confusing though is that Ingo's version swaps
> the x and z functions when compared to the formulas in Wikipedia and
> Blaise Montandon's program, and also that BM's formulae incorporate the
> pi and use -1..1 bounds while the others use -pi..pi bounds, a different
> way of scaling I assume?

The <-pi,pi> bounds are the values used for the computations. As if you
compute the cosinus in the range <-pi,pi> or in the range <-1,1>, it is
not a way to scale. Ex, the values for a circle are in the range
<0,2pi>, which is like <-pi,pi>.

> I shall have to burn some more 'midnight oil', my aim is to use the
> parametric because, AIUI, the surface can then be decorated with a
> texture which itself is the result of a computation (needed, I think, to
> replicate the Hilbert curve engraved on the original artwork).
>
> btw, inside_texture is not available in v3.6.

I think Alain make an syntax error, he probably thought:
interior_texture{pigment{rgb<1,0,0>}finish{ambient 1}}
And why not install PovRay 3.7?

If your image is desperately black, add the background statement in your
scene:
    background {color rgb <0.2,0.4,0.75>}

I can't understand what you want, the p_umbilic.pov file make exactly
what you want. I think (but I am human and I could be wrong) you can
texture this object like another, you create your texture with
calculations and apply then to the shape.

I hope you succeed in your image.

Lionel.
--
Do not judge my words, judge my actions.

---