POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : need help with parametric surface : Re: need help with parametric surface Server Time
14 May 2024 13:27:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: need help with parametric surface
From: Alain
Date: 10 Mar 2014 22:49:56
Message: <531e79d4@news.povray.org>

> hi scott,
>
> thank you for the swift (~45mins!! wow) reply.
>
> On 10/03/2014 16:13, scott wrote:
>> .. *something* visible ..
>
> I see what you mean :-)
>
>>> camera {
>>>     location <0,2,-5>
>>       look_at <0,-4,0>
>>> }
>>>     contained_by { box { -10, 10 } }
>
> well it gives me something to start from.  I now suspect that the object
> isn't located at origin and/or that the camera may be somewhere inside
> it (because the "*something*" looks like a small section of the object).
>
> I'll play with it tonight.  thanks again.

Looking at your function, I suspect that the object is certainly
contained in a box much larger than the original containing box. My bet
would be: box {<-9, -2, -9>, <9, 2, 9>}
Make it larger if the object is clipped.
Add an identical box with pigment{rgbt<1, 0.1, 0.1, 1>} to your scene if
it looks like there are missing parts.
You can also add inside_texture{pigment{rgb<1,0,0>}finish{ambient 1}}.
That way, any hole should appear in bright red.

Next, the camera needs to be located outside that box.
It can be achieved by placing the camera accordingly, or translating the
object itself.

Alain