POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : need help with parametric surface : Re: need help with parametric surface Server Time
13 May 2024 16:54:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: need help with parametric surface
From: jr
Date: 12 Mar 2014 19:19:39
Message: <5320eb8b$1@news.povray.org>
hi Lionel,

On 11/03/2014 22:18, FractRacer wrote:
> The <-pi,pi> bounds are the values used for the computations. As if you
> compute the cosinus in the range <-pi,pi> or in the range <-1,1>, it is
> not a way to scale. Ex, the values for a circle are in the range
> <0,2pi>, which is like <-pi,pi>.

thanks.  as I said, my maths is .. poor.

>> btw, inside_texture is not available in v3.6.
> I think Alain make an syntax error, he probably thought:
> interior_texture{pigment{rgb<1,0,0>}finish{ambient 1}}

ok.

> And why not install PovRay 3.7?

I'm very new to using Povray and v3.6 will be fine for 'learning the ropes'.

> I can't understand what you want, the p_umbilic.pov file make exactly
> what you want. I think (but I am human and I could be wrong) you can
> texture this object like another, you create your texture with
> calculations and apply then to the shape.

it does, but first I want to learn how to do certain objects/scenes
rather than using a pre-made solution (though it's always good to have a
fall-back).

you, for example, have already enough knowledge to see that Alain just
made a simple error.  I will need to work/learn to gain understanding,
so that I too could spot such errors.

texturing is some way off yet, but I'll bear in mind that both methods
are available.

> I hope you succeed in your image.

sincere thanks.