POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Can't get this mapped properly. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 02:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Can't get this mapped properly. (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Jon B
Subject: Re: Can't get this mapped properly.
Date: 22 Jul 2002 15:44:40
Message: <3D3C6090.5070601@indecisions.org>
hughes b wrote:
> "Jon B" <prm### [at] indecisionsorg> wrote in message
> news:3D3### [at] indecisionsorg...
>
>>Ahh, yes yes, by your method I do understand that I would get the full
>>view of it interacting with my finish/normal statements.  The image_map
>>method has proved to be very sucessful in this case.  If for some reason
>>I'm not satisfied with the image_map method, I will definately follow
>>your image_pattern method. Thank you very much, both you guys :-)
>>
>>Pretty much the finalized image of the start buttons.
>>
>>http://www.hostriot.com/072002/help-4.png
>

> YW from me, glad that is all you wanted to get done. Thought it was more
> complex a question. I agree that the image pattern would help distinguish
> between the imprints and plastic, just that it might not seem neccessary for
> this depending on the lighting angles and scale.
>
> Looking at the button again I think you need the torus to drop lower on the
> inside edge. Although it would then begin curving away from the central
> depression requiring another torus to reverse the curve direction back
> inward. In other words a second, smaller, clipped torus at the conjunction
> of the first and the sphere.

http://www.hostriot.com/072002/New-Buttons.jpg

I'm was redoing the buttons because I didn't like how they looked.
Right now I'll be adding a slightly more curved edge at the ring on top
of the button.  I also switched over to the image_pattern method which I
found to work better since now I get the phong interaction with the lights.

-Jon

Post a reply to this message

> I'm was redoing the buttons because I didn't like how they looked.
> Right now I'll be adding a slightly more curved edge at the ring on top
> of the button.  I also switched over to the image_pattern method which I
> found to work better since now I get the phong interaction with the
lights.

Looks good so far.

You should still get the phong interaction with image_map if you specify it
in the finish.  The difference would be that you could have a different
phong value for the image and for the rest of the button with image_pattern.

If you are having dificulty getting the shape you want with CSG, you may
want to look at 'surface of revolution' or 'lathe'
-tgq

Post a reply to this message

"Jon B" <prm### [at] indecisionsorg> wrote in message
news:3D3### [at] indecisionsorg...

> http://www.hostriot.com/072002/New-Buttons.jpg
>
> I'm was redoing the buttons because I didn't like how they looked.
> Right now I'll be adding a slightly more curved edge at the ring on top
> of the button.  I also switched over to the image_pattern method which I
> found to work better since now I get the phong interaction with the
lights.

Looks okay. Could use some bump mapping to raise the imprints slightly so it
isn't absolutely flush with the button surface. Would need to reuse the
image in a normal statement as a bump_map (done like image_map in pigment
was) and make it negative bump_size I guess, otherwise you'll need a
negative color image.

Not sure of how much it matters but maybe something to try.

Post a reply to this message

>>I'm was redoing the buttons because I didn't like how they looked.
>>Right now I'll be adding a slightly more curved edge at the ring on top
>>of the button.  I also switched over to the image_pattern method which I
>>found to work better since now I get the phong interaction with the
>
> lights.
>
> Looks good so far.
>
> You should still get the phong interaction with image_map if you specify it
> in the finish.  The difference would be that you could have a different
> phong value for the image and for the rest of the button with image_pattern.
>
> If you are having dificulty getting the shape you want with CSG, you may
> want to look at 'surface of revolution' or 'lathe'
> -tgq

http://www.hostriot.com/072002/Buttons-2.png

I changed the cylinder getting cut by the sphere with the guy on it to a
superellipsoid object.  It allowed me to make a cylinder object with
rounded top.  Much easier and less code :-)