POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Confining an object to within an sPatch object Server Time
5 Sep 2024 22:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Confining an object to within an sPatch object (Message 18 to 27 of 27)
From: Bob Hughes
Subject: Re: Confining an object to within an sPatch object
Date: 30 Jan 2000 02:18:22
Message: <3893e5be@news.povray.org>
Oh, hey, don't think I said anything about single frame rendering to get a still
image out of a animation did I?  Since I probably didn't and you might not know,
you'll need a Subset_Start_Frame=123 Subset_End_Frame=123 pair of lines in a Ini
file just like you were doing animation but to get a single frame instead.
+SF and +EF is the same on the command-line.
Fact is that with the spray.inc it has to use the clock directly, you can't
define clock as something else and expect it to be seen.  Same goes for many
such includes.  And the spray needs to get going in order to be fully present in
the scene so you'd want to move ahead into the sequence of frames quite a bit.

example Ini:

Initial_Frame=0
Final_Frame=89
Subset_Start_Frame=29
Subset_End_Frame=29
Initial_Clock=0
Final_Clock=1
Cyclic_Animation=On

Good luck with it, fun and frustration is always the way.  Keep asking
questions.

Bob

"The "D"" <the### [at] netzeronet> wrote in message

Bob Hughes <omn### [at] hotmailcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote in message
> Yes, animated, although that makes little difference if you set it up like an
> animation and use a mid range clock value for instance to do the still image.
> The stream flow thing was simply a spray directed along the ground plane.  I
was
> thinking it could also fall from a height onto the ground with little or no
> bounce to pool up in a basin.  The main problem being to keep it around long
> enough (the lifetime and evaporation parameters) since the particles have a
> tendency to shrink away regardless of the settings from what I could tell
about
> it.
> It should be possible for a limited puddling anyhow just using the spray alone
> and no separate puddle object.

Ok so It doesn't matter for animation or stills the settings would come out to
be about the same then. Gotcha

> Not sure I gather your reasoning about the torus or cylinder with a hole for
> standing water, unless you meant for the containing object.  That would need
> some CSG used on the spray.  I usually go with either plane, clipped plane,
box,
> blob, disc or cylinder as water surfaces with a wrinkles pattern or highly
> turbulent ripples (waves if active water).  Others have used 'height_field'
too,
> in various ways.

The reasoning might not make sense becasue of my lack of indepth knowledge of
the laws of POV. What I was thinking was since the bowlish part of the fountain
(the only part I have finisht at the time) looks like the bottom half of a
shpere with an upside down hollow cone in the middle I would need some way to
get the water around the cone but I'm now seeing that that doesn't make much
sense since the water will be tranparent (or translucent I haven't decided)
anyway.

Post a reply to this message