POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Hair, how to make it and the best ways to get it Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Hair, how to make it and the best ways to get it (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Peter Cracknell
Subject: Hair, how to make it and the best ways to get it
Date: 2 Oct 1999 17:12:34
Message: <37f67542@news.povray.org>
Well the question is in the subject.  I'm making animal graphics and I've
just made a bear out of blobs, which to my suprise has turned out alright,
the only problem is the textures.  Basically does anyone know how to produce
short hair (well actually fur) textures for this type of thing.  I have had
a look around b4 u moan and even Kens links doesn't have that much info.
I'd ideally like a macro/ini file on adding hair or even a good brown
texture to help me out, at the moment my bears a little bland, I've posted
him in the images NG, thanks in advance.

P3TE

--
www.p3te.freeuk.com

Post a reply to this message

> Well the question is in the subject.  I'm making animal graphics and I've
> just made a bear out of blobs, which to my suprise has turned out alright,
> the only problem is the textures.  Basically does anyone know how to produce
> short hair (well actually fur) textures for this type of thing.  I have had
> a look around b4 u moan and even Kens links doesn't have that much info.
> I'd ideally like a macro/ini file on adding hair or even a good brown
> texture to help me out, at the moment my bears a little bland, I've posted
> him in the images NG, thanks in advance.
>
> P3TE

Ken's links has the answer for that too :]

The ifrst requires that you make your object out of a mesh rather than
POV's solid objects. This is one of the infamous Chris Colefax macros at:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/  <-- answered with a link

And the other possibility though I have not tried it myself would be to
use the trace() function in the super patch. The last suggestion might
be a real bear to control though (a real bear get it ?) . The super
patch may be found at:
http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/superpatch/

You might also try the povray.org links page which now offers a search
engine. I believe I have identified a couple of texture sites that have
hair/skin textures available as image maps. Do a search for hair/skin at:
http://www.povray.org/links/search.phtml

--
Ken Tyler
1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links: