POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Hair, how to make it and the best ways to get it : Re: Hair, how to make it and the best ways to get it Server Time
5 Sep 2024 20:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hair, how to make it and the best ways to get it
From: Ken
Date: 2 Oct 1999 17:22:18
Message: <37F6778B.86F52882@pacbell.net>
Peter Cracknell wrote:

> Well the question is in the subject.  I'm making animal graphics and I've
> just made a bear out of blobs, which to my suprise has turned out alright,
> the only problem is the textures.  Basically does anyone know how to produce
> short hair (well actually fur) textures for this type of thing.  I have had
> a look around b4 u moan and even Kens links doesn't have that much info.
> I'd ideally like a macro/ini file on adding hair or even a good brown
> texture to help me out, at the moment my bears a little bland, I've posted
> him in the images NG, thanks in advance.
>
> P3TE

Ken's links has the answer for that too :]

The ifrst requires that you make your object out of a mesh rather than
POV's solid objects. This is one of the infamous Chris Colefax macros at:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/  <-- answered with a link

And the other possibility though I have not tried it myself would be to
use the trace() function in the super patch. The last suggestion might
be a real bear to control though (a real bear get it ?) . The super
patch may be found at:
http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/superpatch/

You might also try the povray.org links page which now offers a search
engine. I believe I have identified a couple of texture sites that have
hair/skin textures available as image maps. Do a search for hair/skin at:
http://www.povray.org/links/search.phtml

--
Ken Tyler
1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links: