POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : sPatch problem Server Time
5 Sep 2024 20:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  sPatch problem (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Paul Johnsson
Subject: sPatch problem
Date: 31 Jul 1999 03:33:38
Message: <37A2A70E.BB7998FB@hpts.com>
Hello, I have a qustion concerning the great program sPatch.

I have made a simple object in sPatch 1.51, but when rendering this
object in POV-Ray I have noticed some strange black dots appering on the
obejct. It looks like there are some "glitches" between the different
surfaces of the obejct.

Does anyone have any tips how to get rid of thees black pixels?

Concerning sPatch, does anyone know if there are any future development
plans for the program? What new functionality could be useful in a new
release of sPatch?

Post a reply to this message

The only thing that might be causing it I know of is the 'flatness' in
the 'bicubic_patch' which sPatch exports for POV-Ray. It should be 0
though so that probably isn't the problem (I guess). I have version 1.5
here not 1.51 (unless that 1 was a mistake) so maybe there's a
preference change for flatness. Have you tried slightly different
viewing angles to see how the model surface changes?

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe

You might want to turn up the 'max_trace_level' at least if not done so
already. Is the model being textured using transparency? Then for sure
do so.
The sPatch seems to be in limbo, permanently. A email to the author
might come up with a response, but believe I had heard it wasn't going
anywhere anytime soon.
You mention functionality, vertex magnetism would be kind of neat.
What's it called in other modellers? Metaballs, NURBS or some such thing
(how am I supposed to know?). Anyway, it would be a great feature.

Bob Hughes wrote:

> The only thing that might be causing it I know of is the 'flatness' in
> the 'bicubic_patch' which sPatch exports for POV-Ray. It should be 0
> though so that probably isn't the problem (I guess). I have version 1.5
> here not 1.51 (unless that 1 was a mistake) so maybe there's a
> preference change for flatness. Have you tried slightly different
> viewing angles to see how the model surface changes?
>
> Paul Johnsson wrote:
> >
> > Hello, I have a qustion concerning the great program sPatch.
> >
> > I have made a simple object in sPatch 1.51, but when rendering this
> > object in POV-Ray I have noticed some strange black dots appering on the
> > obejct. It looks like there are some "glitches" between the different
> > surfaces of the obejct.
> >
> > Does anyone have any tips how to get rid of thees black pixels?
> >
> > Concerning sPatch, does anyone know if there are any future development
> > plans for the program? What new functionality could be useful in a new
> > release of sPatch?

Post a reply to this message