POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : rgb-cube and problems with media Server Time
6 Sep 2024 04:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  rgb-cube and problems with media (Message 21 to 30 of 35)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>
From: Nieminen Mika
Subject: Re: rgb-cube and problems with media
Date: 26 Jul 1999 07:48:32
Message: <379c4b10@news.povray.org>
Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> wrote:
: Merge of spheres - the problems typical for the union of spheres are
: avoided, but merge is really slow as is.

  Not really true. I wonder why this delusion persists.
  See http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ.html#csgspeed

  (Everyone keeps saying that merge is (always) a lot slower than union,
but no-one has ever said why. Or even proved it.)

> : Merge of spheres - the problems typical for the union of spheres are
> : avoided, but merge is really slow as is.
>
>   Not really true. I wonder why this delusion persists.
>   See http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ.html#csgspeed
>
>   (Everyone keeps saying that merge is (always) a lot slower than union,
> but no-one has ever said why. Or even proved it.)

  I have the following script that shows the merge operation taking 2 times
longer than a union of the same objects. I did recieve similar results as
you did with the example you gave but this example obviously takes longer
though I cannot offer an explaination as to why.

 Rendered at 120x100 no AA
 union time:  min. 3  sec. 9
 merge time:  min. 6  sec. 21

 union {