POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : rgb-cube and problems with media : Re: rgb-cube and problems with media Server Time
6 Sep 2024 06:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rgb-cube and problems with media
From: Ken
Date: 26 Jul 1999 08:30:11
Message: <379C5440.6E0039D1@pacbell.net>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

> Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> wrote:
> : Merge of spheres - the problems typical for the union of spheres are
> : avoided, but merge is really slow as is.
>
>   Not really true. I wonder why this delusion persists.
>   See http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ.html#csgspeed
>
>   (Everyone keeps saying that merge is (always) a lot slower than union,
> but no-one has ever said why. Or even proved it.)

  I have the following script that shows the merge operation taking 2 times
longer than a union of the same objects. I did recieve similar results as
you did with the example you gave but this example obviously takes longer
though I cannot offer an explaination as to why.

 Rendered at 120x100 no AA
 union time:  min. 3  sec. 9
 merge time:  min. 6  sec. 21

 union {